How to be a truck driver for Walmart?
Are you looking for a job to be a truck driver for Walmart in the USA? Here’s where to apply and how much a Walmart truck driver currently makes per year…
The reality is that there is a great demand for truck drivers in the United States, England and other countries, where the shortage of carriers is significant and even worrying.
Today, Walmart needs new drivers to take charge of the delivery of products in warehouses and stores, in order to cover the enormous demand for online orders from its customers.
In 2021 alone, Walmart hired more than 4,500 drivers.
Watch: CDL traffic violations points in USA
Where to look for a Walmart employment driver in the USA?
To look for a job as a Walmart truck driver in the United States, you must enter the platform careers.walmart.com and enter ‘Drivers & Distribution Centers’ in the search engine, the term ‘truck driver’, the location in the USA where you want to make deliveries and then click on the yellow button.
Once you access the selected job offer, read carefully all the details of the job position. If you meet the requirements, simply click on the blue ‘Apply’ button.
Another way to search for Walmart employment driver jobs is to access this section of the company’s job platform and go almost to the bottom of the page, where it says ‘New and exciting opportunities’.
There you will see the latest job vacancies available.
See: CDL lawyer – Legal protection to drivers of trucks and traffic ticket management
What are the requirements to work as a truck driver for Walmart?
To get a Walmart delivery job and drive a company truck, you must meet the following conditions and have these documents:
- Class A CDL interstate license with HAZMAT endorsement -for hazardous materials- (including approved background check). You can also get this endorsement within 120 days of your hire date.
- At least 30 months of experience working in a Class A truck/tractor/trailer driving position (full-time) in the previous 4 years.
- No more than 2 traffic violations in the last 3 years.
- No serious traffic violations in the last three (3) years.
- No DUI, DWI, OUI, or reckless driving associated with alcohol/drug convictions in the last 10 years.
- No preventable accidents while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last 3 years.
- No preventable accidents recorded by the DOT (Department of Transportation) while operating a commercial motor vehicle in the last 10 years.
- No preventable accidents on driving record, resulting in death or catastrophic injury.
In short, the 3 most important requirements are: having a CDL Class A license with HAZMAT endorsement, 2 1/2 years of experience as a trucker, and a clean driving record.
The application and onboarding process to work as a Walmart truck driver is time-consuming and a bit complex, but it’s worth a try given the high annual earnings and job benefits the company offers.
The online application can take between 45 minutes and 1 hour.
Then, if you are considered an attractive candidate for the position, you will need to conduct an interview.
Likewise, it will be necessary to undergo, for 1 week, an evaluation of driving skills and other skills.
Finally, it’s time to conduct training alongside a current Walmart driver.
To be permanently incorporated into the job, a 90-day trial period is required.
Benefits of being a truck driver for Walmart
Working as a truck driver for the Walmart company offers several benefits, including:
- A very good salary
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401 (K) plan -up to 21 days in its first year- (retirement account with tax benefits), medical and dental plan.
- Life and short-term disability insurance.
- Variety of schedules available.
- Payment for activity, training and mileage from the first day of work.
- Quarterly bonuses for safe driving.
- 10-hour break.
- No split days off.
- Regionalized weekly home deliveries.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation.
- 10% discount on the purchase of general merchandise, fresh fruits and vegetables from Walmart stores or from its online platform.
How much does a Walmart truck driver make in the United States?
Walmart’s truckers can earn between $95,000 and $110,000 in their first year, though that salary can go even higher, depending on location and years of seniority, the company said in April 2022.
According to the Alltrucking.com website, Walmart truckers’ pay per mile is $0.89 for the first year, which equates to an annual salary of $87,500.
Although this figure reported by All Trucking is less than the 95,000-110,000 promised by Walmart in 2022, it is still almost double the average salary received by drivers in the transport industry (48,710) in the US.
It should also be noted that Walmart truckers collect activity and training payments.
In addition, the company pays approximately $42 for breaks and can receive annual bonuses of up to $4,000.
See: ¿Dónde buscar trabajo de truck driver en Miami y otras partes de USA?
What does the job as a truck driver for Walmart consist of?
The most in-demand Walmart delivery job is as a Class A CDL licensed truck driver who delivers products to Walmart and Sam’s Club stores across the United States.
Walmart’s employments drivers are often required to travel 300 miles each way and are required to live close (250 miles) to the distribution center where they apply to work.
Generally, you work 5 days, with 2 days off, but keep in mind that it will not be on Saturdays and Sundays.
Getting weekends off requires about 15 years of experience as a Walmart truck driver.
Walmart career USA, contact for those interested in working
Telephone – 1-888-596-2365 – Option 5 / Monday – Saturday 8AM-5PM
How do you get a CDL license to be a truck driver?
Below, we share guides to obtain the CDL license in New York, Texas, California, Florida, Ohio and Illinois:
Texas commercial drivers license requirements – How to apply for a CDL?
CDL New York Requirements – How do I get the license?
Illinois CDL Requirements – Apply and Avoid Disqualification
Ohio CDL Requirements – How do I get the License?
California CDL Requirements – How do I get the License?
Florida CDL Requirements – How do I get the license?
If you want to work as a truck driver in another transport company in the USA, we suggest the companies UPS, J.B. Hunt Transport Services, FedEx, XPO Logistics, Schneider, H.O. Wolding, Inc. and GP Transco.
See: Trucking accident lawyer – Why do you need one, and where could you find it?