CDL New York Requirements – How do I get the license?

19 August, 2021

To drive vehicles in commercial activity, you must obtain the CDL (Commercial Driver License) in the state where you live. Learn about the CDL requirements for New York State.

CDL New York Requirements

What is the CDL license in NY?

The CDL license is the document that allows you to drive commercial vehicles in the United States.

The commercial vehicle license requires, of course, more preparation than obtaining a regular license.

Next, we summarize the steps to follow to obtain your CDL license in the state of New York.

If you want to read this guide in Spanish, click here.

CDL license classes in New York

The commercial license offers 3 variants or categories, that basically depend on the type of CMV (commercial motor vehicle) or vehicle to be driven. The weight of the commercial vehicle, the maximum allowable load and the structure of the vehicle define the different classes.

Class A

  • Over 21 years old
  • Combined vehicles or with trailer
  • Suitable for a gross weight of 26,001 pounds (11,794 Kg), and / or towing a vehicle up to 10,000 pounds (4535 Kg)

Class B

  • Over 21 years old
  • Over 18 years old (in-state commerce only, cannot transport dangerous cargo or school buses)
  • Big buses, straight trucks, garbage collectors.
  • Suitable for a weight of 26,001 pounds (11,794 Kg) or more, and to tow vehicles of 10,000 pounds (4535 Kg) or less.

Class C

  • Over 21 years old
  • Over 18 years old (in-state commerce only, cannot transport dangerous cargo or school buses)
  • Tanker trucks, vans, trucks, passenger bus
  • Suitable for a gross weight of 26,001 pounds (11,794 Kg) or less
  • Designed for the transport of hazardous materials and for passengers with capacity for more than 15 people

CDL New York requirements

  • Be 18 years old (to travel within the state). Only for Class B and C
  • Be at least 21 years old (to travel between states) or to transport hazardous materials with the HAZMAT endorsement – Class C.
  • Possess a non-commercial driver’s license without penalties.
  • Have at least 2 years of driving experience
  • Must be able to read and speak English language to communicate with other people, and be able to understand signs and posters on public roads
  • Submit information on all states in which you have had a driver’s license in the last 10 years.
  • Proof of social security number, US citizenship or similar, and residence in your home state.
  • Prove your identity and date of birth
  • Pass a Medical Evaluation – Federal regulation states that commercial drivers must pass a medical examination with a physician approved by the National Registry of Medical Examiners. Here is the link to find one near your home.
  • Pass the requested written knowledge tests
  • Obtain the Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) for at least 14 days (the time required may vary).
  • Pass all driving tests according to the activity to be carried out (cargo, passengers, etc.)

How do I get the New York CDL?

To obtain a class A, B or C commercial license, you must first apply for an internship driving license, popularly known as CLP (commercial learner permit).

How to apply for the CLP?

  • Have a driver’s license issued by the state of New York
  • You must go in person to a NYMV (New York DMV) office
  • You don’t need to make an appointment
  • Keep in mind that the whole process can take about 3 hours

Watch: How to work in Canada as a foreigner?

Once you attend the New York Motor Vehicle offices, request and complete the MV-44 form, in which you must:

  • Prove your legal presence in the country
  • Prove your residency in the state of New York
  • List the states in which you had a driver’s license in recent years
  • Express the type of commercial operation carried out or aspired to carry out
  • Submit a copy of your medical certification
  • Show your New York State driver’s license
  • Present the Social Security card (social security card)
  • Pay the corresponding permits
  • Pass the corresponding written exams and practical tests

What am I allowed to do with the CLP?

The idea of ​​the CLP (practice permit) is that you drive a type of vehicle similar to the one you are going to drive, always accompanied by a driver with a valid license as your supervisor.

It allows you to do:

  • Practices on public roads with a licensed driver
  • Perform practice maneuvers in drills
  • You cannot transport loads considered dangerous until you have your CDL

What are CDL endorsements?

Endorsements are special authorizations required to drive some commercial vehicles, such as: school buses, machines at height with a crane, tanker trucks loaded with hazardous materials, etc.

Endorsements must be expressly requested before concluding the CDL process.

According to the activity, endorsements always require a specific written test and, in some cases, also a practical test.

Endorsement types:

  • F – Class A rural vehicles
  • G – Class B rural vehicles
  • H – Hazardous Materials
  • M – metal coils
  • N – tank vehicles
  • P – Passenger transport
  • A – Recreational Vehicles total gross weight over 26,000 pounds.
  • S – Buses
  • T – Double and triple machines
  • W – Cranes
  • X – Vehicles with a Hazardous Materials tank
  • Z – Rural / Farm Vehicles with Hazardous Materials

What is the cost of the CDL license in New York?

In New York, to initiate the CDL application a payment of $10 is required, and at the time of taking the practical test (s), an additional $40 must be paid.

More information about CDL New York Requirements

To contact the Medical Certification Unit

Phone numbers: 518-486-4421 o 518-486-3260

Correo electrónico:

DMV NY Website


Medical Certification Unit
PO Box 2601
Albany, NY 12220-0601

See: How to be a truck driver for Walmart?